Each year on my birthday I make a list of new things I want to try. Some are easy, some are difficult, some are shockingly mundane. You can read about past adventures here.
Things of note:
1. All of the competitors had a ‘routine’ that they performed to music of their choice. A sampling? Stacy’s Mom, Britney’s I Wanna Go, and that one operatic piece of music that’s used in every slow-motion war scene in every Super Serious Movie.
2. A sampling of performance moves: skipping in a circle while pointing at the audience, stomping and flexing in time to the crescendos of the music, doing the robot.
3. There are two levels of competitors – ‘figure’ and ‘bodybuilding.’ Both groups are about a million times more fit than everyone else in the world, but the ‘bodybuilding’ group is what you think of when you think of Arnold Schwarzenegger. When you see two competitors of different levels standing next to each other, the difference is shocking.
4. Did you know you could have striated butt muscles? BECA– USE YOU CAN.
5. As each contestant performed their routine, they worked their way through a series of poses that showcased different groups of muscles. One of these poses involved turning their back to the audience and flexing their back and butt. At one point, a male competitor apparently didn’t feel that his briefs showcased his gluts well enough because he hooked his thumbs into back panel and pulled it up to show more cheek.
5. Products sold in the lobby: protein drink powder, sparkly tiny swimsuits, tanning stuff, educational videos.
Reading through this post, it sounds as though I viewed this experience through a lens of snark. But I really, really didn’t. I mean it when I say that I’m impressed by anybody who’s excited about a hobby and committed to doing something difficult. Honestly, watching this competition influenced me to buy a pair of ten pound weights! Watch out, now. It’s only a matter of time till I’m flexing my way around a stage to this song.
Have you ever watched a bodybuilding competition? Or lift weights seriously?
photo via naturalmnbodybuilding.com