If you’ve been reading Yes & Yes for long, you’ve probably noticed the frequently changing, occasionally updated list over in the sidebar. Each year around my birthday, I make a list of new things I want to try and then (with varying degrees of success) I try those things and write about them.
And while I rarely check everything off my list in a given year, it’s a really, really great way to live my life on purpose. It gives structure to my free time and really forces me outside of my comfort zone. It strengthens my friendships and makes lifelong memories. It helps me find new things to love (and confirm that no, I never need to drink blowfish sake again. Not that I thought I would.)
It can be oddly hard to think of new things to try! Like, I find myself googling other people’s bucket lists. I like to aim for new things that are relatively cheap (usually under $100) or somewhat easy (don’t require months of preparation.)
Like the deeply Type A human I am, I find it’s easier to think of new things if I give my list a bit of structure.
* Learn to walk in wedges and wear them every day for a week
* Go raw for a week (spoiler alert: I failed)
* Do a five-day cleanse (haaaaated it)
* Do a polar plunge (yes! I even did it again the next year!)
Last year’s list was particularly unchecked (mostly because I was moving, getting married, road tripping for 6 weeks and backing out of a book deal) but this year will be better! More new things! More checkmarks!
But I need your help. What other new things should I try?
So far, here’s what’s on my list for this year:
- Take an adult ballet class (those Barre fitness classes don’t count!)
- Go to a nudist beach or resort
- Go carless for one week (this makes me oddly nervous)
- Drive a jet ski
- Go storm chasing (my husband is a meteorologist storm chaser!)
- Take an overnight bike trip
- Take a sailing class
- Stay overnight on a houseboat
- Make kombucha from scratch
- Watch The Sandlot
- Read East of Eden
- Visit the Wabasha Street Caves
- Harvest some wild mushrooms
- Make (or attempt) a pavlova
- Go to a trampoline park
- Try paddleboarding (IT JUST SEEMS SO BORING)
- Take a burlesque class
- Attempt contouring makeup
- Let someone do energy work on me
I like to leave a few of these open – just to see what weird opportunities life presents – but I’d love to hear your suggestions!
What other new things should I try? And do you have an on-going list? I so, SO recommend it!