Friends, let us talk about the art of self-love.
About what it means to like yourself as much as your friends do.
To give yourself the treats/compliments/breaks you give other people.
To eat half a block of cheese because, you know what? You want to.
The language of love that I’m particularly fluent in is saying “Yes.” To, um, most things.
Here are a few of the things that I say yes to that help remind me exactly how awesome I am.
* Yes to monthly pedicures with my BFF. Even in the winter. Even when my toes are inside boots all day long.
* Yes to high quality parmesan.
* Yes to checking out my butt in these jeans and saying “Yup. That’s pretty cute.”
* Yes to shouting “High five, self!” to my empty apartment when I finish something difficult.
* Yes to embracing my own impossibly high standards and being pleased when I encounter people who meet them.
* Yes to befriending people who make me happy.
* Yes to brunch. Always.
* Yes to embracing my dorky desires to get up early, go to bed early and read college textbooks for fun.
* Yes to moving my body in ways that bring me joy.
* Yes to knowing when I’m bored and listless and taking action about it.
* Yes to respectfully, carefully culling non-awesome people from my life.
* Yes to being outside for half an hour, every day, regardless of the weather.
* Yes to re-reading my cheesily-titled Smile File when I’m blue.
* Yes to getting dressed and looking cute every day – even if I never leave my apartment.
* Yes to new things. Every year. Always.
* Yes to being direct, open and crazy-honest about my feelings.
How do you show yourself love? What are you saying yes to this year?