Let’s talk about Summer ideas. Summer ideas smell like sunscreen. Summer ideas stay out late on week nights and wear a wet swimsuit to the movie theater. Summer ideas are better/different/looser than Autumn ideas.
If you want to have a great summer, you need great Summer Ideas.
38 ways to have a great summer
1. Find a new place to swim
A new lake. A river beach. A rooftop pool. An inflatable pool in your backyard!
2. Get a truly ridiculous pedicure
Intricate nail art. Rhinestones. Different colors on different nails.
3. Navigate the water in a new way
Dinner cruise. Jet ski. Paddleboard. Kayak. Canoe. Swan-shaped paddle boat. Sailboat. Pontoon with martinis at sunset.
4. Pick flowers and press them
Tuck them in the pages of your favorite books. Discover them in the winter and feel wistful.
5. Climb a tree
Don’t get hurt.
6. Jump off something high into the water
A rope swing. A diving board. A tree? Don’t get hurt.
7. Bring your dog to the lake and let it go swimming
Try not to let it shake off all over everyone.
8. Make yourself an ice cube necklace
It’s exactly as easy as you think!
9. Go camping
Even if it’s in the city or your own backyard. Don’t own a tent or gear? Borrow a friend’s or check out a local university’s recreation department – they often rent gear for super cheap!
10. Cook things over a fire
Chocolate cake inside an orange! Baked feta and tomatoes in a tin foil packet! Campfire bread in a coffee can!
11. Make popsicles
Strawberry rhubarb! Coffee! Sangria!
12. Grill fruit
Seems exotic and exciting – is actually really easy.
13. Learn the summer constellations
Everyone will be really impressed!
14. Go to a drive-in movie
THIS IS THE ACTUAL BEST
15. Take an underwater camera to the beach and go wild
But not in a creepy way, right?
16. Make a sand castle
And then run through it.
17. Explore your city by bike
When you explore on two wheels, you see things you’d otherwise miss and you have access to all sorts of hidden trails and back alleyways. Check out your city’s bike sharing program and use Ride The City to map a safe route.
18. Play public transport roulette (if this feels safe!)
Buy an all day ticket, get on the first train or bus that pulls up, get off at the first place that feels interesting. Repeat.
19. Tequila watermelon
21. Adult snow cones
We’re doing this on Saturday!
22. Roller skate or roller blade
Down the street. In the basement. At a rink.
23. Hit up garage sales
We all know Labor Day is the height of garage sale season!
24. Drive down a dirt road
Windows down. Radio up.
25. Make sun tea
Tea bags + mason jar = porch sippin’ goodness.
27. Go hiking
Bonus points if it’s a trail you’ve never explored before
29. Watch a meteor shower
30. Drink/eat on a rooftop
Food tastes better that high up. (Here’s a list of Minneapolis’s best rooftop happy hours.)
31. Re-read your favorite teen books on a blanket
I just re-read this and I loooooved it!
32. Have a brunch picnic by the water
Frittatas travel really well!
33. Have a bbq brunch
Bacon on the grill. Sourdough on the grill. Peaches on the grill.
34. Go to the farmers’ market with $20 in cash and buy things you’ve never eaten before
White gourd! Bitter berries! Those purple carrots!
35. Make that awesome salt spray for your hair so you can have sexy beach waves
36. Watch movies in your own backyard
Let’s all watch ‘Adventures In Babysitting’!
37. Wash your car the old fashioned way
Like, with a sponge and a bucket. In your driveway. With some Aerosmith playing on the tape deck.
38. Make sure you’re registered to vote + save your senators’ numbers into your phone so you can regularly call them and give them your opinion
Not sure who you senators are or how to get a hold of them? This will help. And here’s how to find out if you’re registered to vote!
What are you doing to make this summer good? Tell us all about it in the comments!