True Story: I Had My Breast Implants Removed

This is one of many True Story interviews, in which we talk to people who have experienced interesting, amazing, challenging things. This is the story of Apryl and her decision to get her breast implants removed.
True Story: I had my breast implants removed // yesandyes.org
Tell us a bit about yourself!
I’m from Los Angeles via Minneapolis via Los Angeles. I’m currently residing in St. Paul before I move to NYC next year. I have a little mobile business called Fruition Temple Wellness where I teach yoga, coach people through their transition into healthier eating, and teach them how to make vegan, raw vegan, and/or fruitarian dishes.
I also do freelance social media and internet marketing and I’m a songwriter and recording artist. For fun, I enjoy reading non-fiction health and spirituality books, going to fruitlucks (like a potluck only with ripe fruits and veggies), taking barefoot walks and naked sunbathing… weather permitting.
Growing up, how did you feel about your body?
Growing up, I never really had body issues. The other girls at school called me anorexic because I was naturally thin. I didn’t even know what that word meant at the time. Kids can be very cruel to each other.
How old were you when you decided to get implants? What lead you to make that decision?
My breast implants were my birthday present to myself, just a few months before I turned 21. I had become self-conscious about my protruding rib cage (thanks to scoliosis) and I was dying to feel more feminine.
How did the people in your life react to your decision?
Nobody really supported my decision, but they were there for me. I got a lot of strange looks from cousins. However, my aunt had always had breast implants and I went to the same doctor as my then-boyfriend’s stepmother.
Tell us about the process of getting implants.
I don’t really remember much of the process. I think it’s a lot different now. I never got to “try on” breasts, like you can now. I think I paid $4850 for them after years of saving.
How did you feel when you saw your new breasts?
At first, I was afraid they weren’t big enough! I always loved them until my late twenties when I became uncomfortable with their size and obvious fake-ness.
Did you new breasts change your life at all?
Running was a joke. Now, I feel like I’m flying when I sprint down the sidewalk. Also, finding clothes was always difficult. Baggy things made me look pregnant, tight things made me appear slutty.
Men and women I’ve dated never really seemed to care that I had breast implants.
Only one guy was suuuuper into them. My current girlfriend likes my real boobs much more than the fake ones. She has said the fake ones frightened her and felt funny. I’m sure that they have scared off many people over the years. I can imagine some of them even thought things like, “I could never introduce this woman to my parents.” They were just massive.
When did you start to think about having them removed?
Towards my late twenties, I felt more and more tired along with an overall sense of illness. My mother kept suggesting it could be my implants. I didn’t want to hear it. I knew they were too big for my body and I didn’t really “need” them anymore to feel good about myself, but I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without them.
After years of getting more into fruitarianism, I really wanted a natural body. I was living the healthiest lifestyle possible, in my mind, but I didn’t feel well. I knew it was time to say goodbye to the gals. It had been 13 years, anyway.
How does the process of getting breast implants removed compare to the process of having them put in?
Well, I was awake for the removal surgery. It was awful. They numbed the area, but I felt everything. I cried the whole time. There was a wonderful team of nurses calming me down and helping me breathe. When the surgeon was tugging on the left implant, I had the sensation that he was removing something else besides the implant.
After the surgery, I saw a paper towel with a black lump on it on the floor next to the operating table. I had gone back to the same doctor who put them in… He did a great job, but I wish I wouldn’t have been so out of it. I would have demanded to know what that black mass was.
The recovery was six weeks and I’m still getting my energy back. I don’t really remember much about the original surgery, but the recovery took forever. I was a wreck and the pain killers made me vomit. Violently throwing up while trying to hold my chest was torturous.
How do you feel about your breasts now?
Although I was encouraged to have a breast lift along with the removal, I chose not to because of the extra cost, horrid anchor-shaped scar (similar to a breast reduction), and also the recovery time.
My ladies hang a little low, but they look amazing! I love them so much! I can’t believe I wasted 13 years walking around like that. I look back and think I was duped by what I thought would make me sexy, normal, and girly in the eyes of others. I will only partially blame magazines and celebrities for my prior low-self esteem.
I don’t think people should be able to get crazy plastic surgery until the age of 25 or 26 when their frontal lobes have developed. I certainly wouldn’t have made the same decision had I been forced to wait that long.
Thanks so much for sharing, Apryl.  Do you guys have any questions for Apryl?  Have any of you had plastic surgery?  How do you feel about the results?

I'm sure there's a lot more research out there about the negative side effects of having implants in your body than that of following a Fruitarian diet. Also, you could just 'Google' Fruitarianism to quickly discover that it's not about eating "nothing but fruit."

Apryl Electra

I eat mostly fruit, a lot of vegetables and leafy greens, and occasionally some raw vegan gourmet or cooked vegan. I'm lucky enough to have found that eating food, as it was given to me by mother nature, has helped me erase these issues:
food allergies, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, eating disorders, hypoglycemia, hypertension, excess body fat and weight, plantar warts, diabetes and pre-diabetes, depression, anxiety, gingivitis, yeast infections, foul body odor requiring antiperspirant, edema, hand-tremors, insomnia, OCD, irregular heartbeat, painful heart palpitations, seasonal allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, psoriasis, and hives.
I was soooo messed up before.
Besides having my breast implants removed, I also had mercury fillings removed about a year prior. The body doesn't just heal overnight, but I'm much better off than I was years ago.
I'm super happy about my decision and hope it inspires other people to have theirs removed or not get them in the first place. May they spend their money on a nice vacation instead of shoving foreign objects into their bodies. Let's start with building people up from the inside out instead of falsely from the outside in.
I hope you have a beautiful day, Morgan, wherever you are.

Gorda

Hi I’m Gorda an I’m going thru these issue myself I’m so glad I read these but I need help and advice I’m so scare and facing on which direction should I go ! I also got breast implants 12 years ago an I face the same issues when I exercise, when I run , when I buy clothes and I usually cover myself up I feel they’re to big always wearing a bra to ! My back hurts to issues issues ! And know I’m facing the decision to either just remove the implants or removed and put new implants one of my implants rupture ! I got implants because after breastfeeding my 4 kids my boobs where so bad ! If you breastfeed you know what I mean ! So know after the implants and breastfeeding I’m not sure of how my boobs will look I don’t want a breast lift I’m to scare of the scaring or something going wrong ! But I’m also so scare of these whole issue any advise

CBrownColors

Morgan, if you knew April, you'd know that it is not the diet. She is really doing amazing now. She was at her most unhealthy with the implants before she went vegan and then Fruitarian. She's very careful about her diet.

Mara Dobervich

The diet is taking wind with everyone who's interested in being healthy. 🙂

I love your body Apryl and I love that you love it and that your gf loves it. I have very large breasts (DDD) simply from gaining weight, and I admit, they are a pain to exercise with. I'm hoping they shrink down as I lose weight, as I'd like to not be in pain anymore. My ladies will always hang low.. But there are some other benefits to that I will not go into here..!!! 🙂 Happy to read this story to hear another woman value the way our bodies are naturally. Happy to know you.

Vanessa

Thank you for sharing your story Apryl! Glad to hear you're feeling so much happier and healthier now 🙂

This is a great story. I love how Apryl learned to love her body in its natural form. I once went for a consultation with a plastic surgeon for breast implants. The doctor was awesome and really told me the real deal about surgery and what I could expect years down the road. It seemed to be too much risk and potential sacrifice, so I decided not to do it. Now, years later I am turning 40 and I love my breasts the way they are. I realize that if I had gotten surgery it would have been for other people and not truly for myself.

Sam

Love this story. It's crazy to think how women are so influenced by the media and magazines; myself included. Way to go Apryl for staying true to yourself and following your heart!

Girliest Nerd

I completely agree with the age 25 thing (frontal lobe development ftw!). There are a few tattoos I wish I hadn't gotten, and surprise, surprise, they were done well before that age.

I've found myself previously wondering about breast implants as I'm a petite person and they have always been around a size 28B/C; however, now that I'm pregnant and these guys shot up to a 30F I'm… good. I realize now I just want the old ones back!

Wasn't Gandhi a Fruitarian? That's pretty good company…

I love this story! I'm super curious about what a breast reduction procedure is like. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had all the facts. Thanks for sharing!

Caitie

1) Fruitarianism- really? Until I see some peer-reviewed evidence of the efficacy/safety/long-term effects of this diet, I ain't buying.

2). Also, good to know that because I'm naturally large-chested, I look "slutty" when I wear fitted/tight tops. I could really have done without that comment.

Sarah, I'm a long-time reader and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with this one.

Little redhead

She said she felt tight tops made her feel like she looked slutty, she didn't say tight tops look slutty on everyone with big breasts. I'm sure you don't wear certain clothes because you don't think they suit you, which naturally doesn't mean they look bad on everyone. Just because you have big breasts doesn't mean the rest of your body looks the same as Apryl's. Natural big breasts do not look the same as implants.
And funny how you feel so attacked about a comment Apryl made about how she felt she looked, but you have no problem eye-rolling about her personal diet.

Catie,
The True Story interview are published without comment. I'm sharing someone else's story, not endorsing their decisions or passing judgement. This series is meant to introduce us to new people, new experiences, new mindsets – and not all of them are things we agree with. Such is the nature of life and humans 🙂

I'm a new reader and I found Yes and Yes through Elise Blaha's podcast with you, Sarah. It was wonderful and so is your blog! I can't wait to continue reading. I am a huge fan of the true life series idea, and after reading this personal account, I am beyond excited to follow up on the archives.

Thank you for featuring this on your blog, Sarah, and a big thanks to Apryl for sharing such a personal story. I think this resonates with me because I've always been naturally slender, and my boobs are small as well. I would get teased about them and when comparing myself to other women, I always felt that they should be bigger. While it might be nice to have bigger boobs, I was always of the mindset that this is my body and that I need to love myself for the way I am- plus, I don't need the medical cost and recovery hassle of breast implants.

Apryl, you're beautiful the way you are and it was so enlightening reading a little about your journey. Stay awesome! 🙂

Elina Mark

What makes a plastic surgeon one of the best? First and foremost their training and education, and then experience. To specialize in something means you do it constantly, and have achieved thousands of good results.

Heather

I also got implants when I was pretty young for my husbands I had kids young & he liked my breast before kids & they weren’t the same after kids . ive had them since 2004 I’m now 35 and have back pain breast pain and several non cancerous cysts that have formed I’m fearful of having them removed because they are a D cup & I’m scared they will sag a lot and my husband will no longer find me attractive but I just want this pain to stop that I’ve been dealing with for years please help

Allie

FORGET YOUR HUSBAND. Get them removed for the love of god and all that is holy. I hate the world’s influences sometimes! The pressure to look good for your husband is not as important as your health!

Jjjjjjj

My implants were in four years, early thirties. I recently removed, no lift, no nothing. I love my little A’s… i an so happy to have them back. They look amazing, shaped nicely and my chest concave was gone within the first few days.
Yes i wanted them, i .was fed up with them after two years, went smaller for about a year. Contemplated removing them and finally i explanted.
I feel and look amsxing!!!
No more oversized clothes and indoor activities! I am proud of my appearance!!!!
Good luck to all!!!!

H2020

Thanks for the great article. I got saline implants (from an A cup to a large B/small C) when I was 27. I’m now 55 and will have explanation surgery soon. I just want them gone because I’ve become more physically aware of them, especially when I run, and can “feel” that I have foreign objects in my chest (probably because of gravity). Also, I think they make me look heavier even though I’m not overweight.
For those considering getting implants, consider my experience. When I was 27, it didn’t occur to me that I’d have to have my new boobs replaced every few years. Yes, original implants do not last forever and will eventually fail: My first set lasted 15 years and then the left implant deflated. My second set lasted 6 years and then the right one deflated. My third set are 8 years old and could fail at any time. None of these deflations had anything to do with trauma, inferior quality, or bad surgical skills. It’s just a fact that implants wear out and need to be replaced at some point. My last surgeon told me to expect to have replacements in ten or so years, and I really appreciated his honesty. I don’t remember my first (or second) surgeon mentioning this, but I’m not sure this would’ve mattered to me when I was 27 because I just wanted bigger boobs. When I look at preimplant photos of myself, I see that my small ones were really nice.

Jamee

Thank you for this article. I’m having my implants and a lymph node removed in less than a week and I needed to hear this. 10 years ago my implants ruptured and my Dr insisted I was implant dependent and would not remove them w/o replacing them. Loose silicone was left behind and three years ago we found it was draining into my lymphatic system. I have a silicone filled lymph node the size of a large grape. After searching for three years I have found a surgeon who will remove it and my implants. I’m 48. Had implants since I was in my early 20’s. I can not wait to be free of them. I’ve been really afraid until reading this. Now I’m energized and ready! Best to you!

BEATRICE RING

Implants are extremely dangerous. There are 63 groups just in the US about women removing them and trying to get their back and neck pain removed and the immune system to stop the lupus like symptoms. Yes you must remove the scar and yes doctor will push for new implants because that’s how they pay their mortgages and fancy cars. Be aware of the lack of media coverage and make your own research online. All the groups collaborate for information online, reach out and get all the info you need because this is a barbaric ritual and we are too evolve to continue hurting our bodies like that.

Carol Ann

Dear Apryl,
I really want to thank you for sharing your personal story and for being so real about your experiences throughout your journey. The first time I read your story I was searching online about breast implant explant surgery. I was so fed up with my breast implants that were painfully tight and so awkward looking due to capsular contracture of the both. As I read your story I felt a connection with you because I was experiencing the same thoughts as you had about your former implants. I also wanted to begin to live a healthy lifestyle and the implants that I had thought at one time would finally make me happy had become a nightmare. To be honest here I wasn’t being taken serious by the people who surrounded me and I was labeled as the lady with the “fake boobs”. It was so obvious that they were fake. I was even embarrassed to hug anyone because of how hard they were. I truly wanted to work on myself from the inside and become more a person who was not totally obsessed with just my outer appearance. I had to love myself and do what made “me” happy. As I’m writing this I just had my implants removed today and although I’m in some pain,,, I am free!!!! After the surgery (which I had under local) the first thing I did was hug myself and it felt so good!!! I was back! I’m lying here in bed recovering and so happy to look down and not see the gigantic weird looking lumps on my chest anymore. I do not want to offend the women who have big beautiful natural breast or those gals that are happy with their implants, I’m just sharing about me. I’m sorry about this lengthy comment I’m just happy and wanted you to know how much of an inspiration you’re been for me. Be healthy, be blessed and please continue to write we are hear listening (;
Carol Ann