Every year I make a list of new things I want to try. Some of them are easy, some are hard, some are shockingly mundane. You can read about past shenanigans here.
Here is my list of favorite animals:
2. Prairie dogs
(Cats aren’t on this list because they’re not so much a ‘favorite animal’ as an ‘overarching theme in my life/family member’.)
A list of awesome things about this experience:* Learning that their names are Pug Nose and Little Bean (this bears repeating)
* Learning about their favorite foods and then feeding Little Bean broccoli and apples and feeling his sweet whiskery mouth on my hand
* Just generally looking at his little teddy bear face and imagining him saying calming things to me
* Shaking flippers with him
* Watching his little nose sniff at the surface of the water
* Patting his soft, algae covered back
* Swimming in his general vicinity and feeling zen and joyful.
In April, my dude and I are heading to Tampa for a conference and mermaids and we’re also hoping to kayak the Weeki Wachee river and see even mooooore manatees. Though I imagine those manatees won’t be named Little Bean.
Have you ever swum with manatees or anything interesting animal? I’m bummed I missed swimming with dolphins in open water when I lived in New Zealand!