So while I’m poking around the hills of L.A., she’s enjoying the
novelty of wearing scarves because you actually need them in Minnesota!
When Rachel first emailed me about swapping spaces (I’m in St. Paul, MN and she’s in Los Angeles, CA) my first thought was:
Followed immediately by:
“Also: OMG I cannot drive there. Annnnnd I’m pretty sure the entire female population consists of tiny blonde women with fake boobs who will try to talk to me about my aura and shame me for enjoying gluten and dairy.”
As with Poland, I was clearly working with some deep-seated biases. And not surprisingly, LA has turned out to be capital f Fun. I probably won’t be relocating anytime soon (I do love me some seasons) but I’ve had The Best Time.
* Driving around the greater Los Angeles area like a boss. True, I’ve had to sit on the freeway for 1.5 hours to get 10 miles, but it’s not nearly as terrifying as I feared (mostly because you rarely get above 30 miles an hour) and now I understand That One SNL Skit.
* Spotting Marisa Tomei at a big vintage sale. My internal monologue went something like this: “Daaaaang but that lady has great style! Oh, God. Annnnnd she’s famous. LOOK AWAY IMMEDIATELY.”
* Citrus fruit! It grows on trees! In people’s yards! How novel!
* Walking on the beach with my sister while my friends back in Minnesota are moving their cars in a snow emergency #smugjerk
* The friendly, handsome dogs of L.A. Everyone seems to have one!
* Navigating roads above Echo Park that are so narrow you have to back up to let people through. Or so steep when you crest the hill you can’t see the road over the hood of your car. Now that, my friends, is waaaaay more terrifying than taking the 405 in rush hour.
* Inadvertently happening upon the taping of a reality tv show, signing wavers, and then practicing our ‘reaction faces’ in hopes that we’ll get on camera
* Overhearing a guy talk about his ‘medical intuitive’ and seeing a girl in 6 inch patent leather platforms. In CVS. On a Tuesday afternoon.
* Taking part in the joy that is a Richard Simmons’ aerobics class. But that’s a different blog post entirely!
I’m having so much fun! I’m out here through the 14th, and then back to the snow. Let me know if there are any other can’t miss things I have to do before I leave!