Notes From The Road: Namaste, Nepal!

As you lovelies are reading this, I’m wearing ridiculous technical gear, some of that awful high spf chapstick and slogging my way through the Himalayas. Yes! Trekking in Nepal!But before you get too impressed with my intrepidity, let me tell you that
a) I’ve hired a porter/guide to carry my bag and keep me from wandering off the trail towards friendly-looking yaks
b) This is tea house trekking, in which I sleep in a bed and eat a hot dinner every night
c) I’m doing a relatively easy, ‘low’ trek

And? This particular trek culminates with a yak cheese factory (!) at 3,800 meters above sea level. Also, I found a stocking cap that has ears and a kitteh face on it, so I’m obviously wearing that.

Apparently the worst part of the trek? The 12 hour, 117 km bus ride over rutted mountain roads to get to the trail head. See?
I’ve been in Nepal for three days now, most of it spent buying technical gear, getting trekking permits and unrepentantly drinking cappuccinos and eating things like hummus and spaghetti. During the trek I’ll mostly be eating dahl and omelets, so I have zero compunction about embracing a bit of decadent westernism before I head out. After I get back, I’ll rest up for a day and then fly down to the border where I’ll volunteer at the Timai Refugee Camp for three weeks.

Have you ever done any big hikes or treks? (I did another one in Bolivia and slept in a barn on a bed made of sticks)

Bev

That looks amazing, I'd love to do that. How colourful the streets are in the first pic makes me want to fly there right now! Enjoy!

Lisa

a tea house AND a yak cheese factory?? wow. so jealous. i did a serious trek through ecuador once (no tea and no cheese..) and it was grueling but spectacular!!

enjoy it, lovely!

Zia Madeira

Thanks for the video! So cool and scary. That's usually the most uncomfortable thing about travel for me – cliffs and a vehicle.
So jealous!
Haven't trekked yet, unless getting lost in Portugal for a couple hours looking for an address counts.

BudgieandTheBee

Hi Sarah,
Blessings for joy, wonderment and safety on your trek, and be sure to savor the essence of the yak when you try the cheese. My mother-in-law hosted two Tibetan women a few years back and they brought sticks of dried yak cheese with them. I had the "ahem" benefit of giving it a try. Let's just say that I stick to other varietals when choosing cheese. ~ Jill

Alyssa

Wow, twelve hours traveling on mountain roads? That video makes it seem like a never-ending amusement park ride! I'm sure the opportunity to trek through the Himalayas is more worth it though 🙂 Plus, yak cheese!! Enjoy the hike!

Soniah

Hello Ms. Von!
I am fairly new to your blog but I love it! I love it! I love it!
I have the sneaky suspicion that if we met in real life we would become BFFs instantly! =)
That being said, yes… I am a serious trekker, I've done several routes in Colombia, Peru and Bolivia. I am also planning several treks in Europe, but Nepal is a dream of mine (which will possibly come true next year -fingers crossed!!!).
By the by, will you be willing to send more packages? Please let me know. All the best on your trip!

Liz

Wow! It looks quite fantastic, despite the long bus ride.
I'm loving traveling vicariously through your travel notes!

K

Absolutely loving reading about your adventures! LOVE. Hope you're doing great, making memories xx

LC

Yes. Mt. Rinjani in Indonesia. Pretty much heaved my lungs out of my body. And guess what? NO YAK CHEESE AT THE SUMMIT (though if we find a way to put a Yak Cheese Stall at the 13,700 ft, we'll make millions. Millions, I say).

Hope you're having fuuuun!!!

I want to try yak cheese so very badly. Please tell more (when you know)!

As for trekking, I'm going "rambling" in NZ in January. But no yaks, alas.

Amelia jane

I did the classic inca trail a couple of weeks ago, although it's more like a casual ramble than a proper trek, although the guide didn't stop us from heading towards friendly llamas!
Hope you have heaps of fun on ur trek!
x