This is a vintage post from deep in the Yes and Yes archives. You'll see a few older posts popping up over the next few weeks - after 3+ years of blogging, I'm attempting to take some time off!
So we've established that we loving giving non-stuff gifts, right? But sometimes, the holidays call for something a bit more stuff-ish than non-stuff. And I don't know about you, but I would rather gouge my eye out with a grapefruit spoon than deal with the mall this time of year.
So DIY it is! But we don't go in for macaroni necklaces and god's eyes here at Yes and Yes. No, sir. Here are some DIY gifts that don't suck.
- Adorable throw pillow made from a vintage silk scarf.
- Scented bath fizzies and sugar body scrub for all-important bubble baths.
- Sachets. Because we all want scented underwear, right?
- These felted nesting bowls are so cute I'm almost inclined to learn how to knit. Or devotedly hope that my knitting BFF makes them for me. cough cough.
- This mobile proves that nurseries don't have to be a mess of teddy bears and ruffles.
- I have fond memories of making these scribble cookies as a child. And fighting the urge not to eat them.
- You know how you give a kid a million dollar toy and they spend the next hour playing with the bubble wrap? These simple and cute toys fill that same need.
- These finger puppets are too cute for words.
- Stuffed animals made from your old sweaters.
- This slays me - message in an etched bottle!
- For a sexy gift, make your own honey dust and apply with a fluffy feather
- For the design whore/animal owner in your life, the world's hippest pet bed.
- You don't like preservatives and processed ingredients, neither do pets. Dog and cat treat recipes.
- Help your traveler find their luggage faster with these cute luggage tags
- Being abroad during the holidays can be hard. Record a cd of you and your friends rehashing funny stories. Your traveler can put it on when they're feeling homesick.
- Hardcore backpackers swear by stuff sacks, little nylon bags used to divide backpack contents. Lucky for you, they're super easy to make.
- A car travel kit, you're entertained and there might be fewer arguments about directions.
- How sweet are you? Making a cool, modern silhouette portraits your friend and their loved ones?
- Ooooh, a hollowed out book where you can stash all your secrets?! So awesome.
- Put those old Milli Vanilli tapes to good use by turning them into cute wallets
- Did your wool sweater go through the wash? Make mittens out of it!
- Super easy, cheap and fun to make, suitable for anybody: marble magnets