How It’s Made

We all love Mr. Rogers, right? He said wonderful things like this:“We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say “It’s not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.” Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.”

and this:

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life’s important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”

But my hands-down, absolute favorite part of any Mr. Rogers show?  The factory videos!  There’s magic in seeing how things are made!Let’s spend our Thursday watching these videos.  So, so awesome!

Have you ever taken a factory tour? I toured a Tabasco sauce factory when I was in Louisiana and it was awwwwesome!

Rachael

There is a whole show called How It's Made that I found on Netflix. I absolutely love it, and when I'm describing it to people I always mention the Mr. Rogers crayon clip. Fascinating.

Sarah M

I love Mr. Rogers! I recently introduced my kids (5 & 4) to it and they LOVED it. That made me really happy. We love the show How It's Made (what Rachael is talking about), too, and my son could watch episode after episode of that.
Sarah M

Jenny

Those were always my favorite!! I distinctly remember a jeans-turned-recycled-paper one. When How It's Made came out I squealed how it's a Mr. Rogers spin off. 🙂

I remember the crayon one from childhood! This stuff is so fascinating. Last summer I toured the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, TN. All the JD in the world is made there!

Samantha Kimble

Even though I have mad respect for Mr. Rogers and his beliefs on humainty I could never watch his show. I tired, oh how I tried but those puppets freaked me out. I shudder to even think about that King puppet. Ugh. However I love factory tours. There is a chocolate factory near me (Theo's Chocolate) and I took there tour. It was lead by a guy named Charlie. I know, but I couldn't even make that up and type this seriously. The tour was fablous and so were the samples.

Alisha

Great post! I didn't grow up with Mr Rogers (down here in little ol NZ we had other childhood delights!) so this was wonderfully entertaining!

Melissa

Love that show!

We took a tour through a sugar factory and it was horrifying. Not horrifying in the typical "oh sugar is bad for you kind of way" but horrifying in the "this is how I'm going to die today" way.

The factory is nearly 100 years old. Broken windows, pigeons everywhere, sticky sugar "tar" puddles and gooey black surfaces, explosive dust, hot suspended catwalks… I was pretty scared actually.