Needed: Your Questions About Pets

Yes, there’s another podcast in the making! This time it’s with my fantastic friend Justine. Girlfriend vets for the Iditerod! And she’s written two (hilarious!) books about cats and dogs! So what questions would you like to ask about your pet? They can be serious (“Should I get my cat declawed?”) or totally ridiculous (“Can I tame and raise a wolf pup?”) She’s probably heard it before.Ask away!

Kalei's Best Friend

Ok, when cats pass gas, and we make fun, are they reacting to our tone of voice or do they know that when they passed gas it was a no-no… We use to admonish our Cairn and she would slink to the floor and sneak out… My cat on the other hand looks at me as if to say " well tough sh*t, sucka'

Starling

In the same vein…why do dogs chew their butts? And why does my dog act like I'm drowning her every time she gets a bath?

Do dogs really know when their owners are coming home?

Retta

I have a black lab/australian shepherd mix that I rescued from the Humane Society when he was 7 months old. He is now eight years old. For the first few years I had him, I could take him to the dog park and he played just fine with other dogs. He was also confidant around strangers. Then he slowly started showing signs of aggression towards new dogs, particularly ones that are his size or larger. He also has territory problems. For example, if he is in my car and someone walks past close to the car, he will turn into a fierce beast. I started noticing that he sometimes was unsure around new people that we past on the street and has even growled a little or at the very least seemed uneasy and watched them closely. It isn't all of the time and now I'm so worried when we pass people that I'm I believe he is reading my uncertainty which probably doesn't help. Any suggestions on how to make him feel more secure? I don't enjoy walking him because I don't know what to expect. He has never bitten anyone and it seems like more bark than bite but I don't want to take and chances. Thoughts?

Sammy

What's the scoop on pet store puppies and kitties? Every time I walk by those stores at the mall, I want to run in and take them all home, but I've heard all sorts of things about where these puppies potentially come from, so I was just wondering what the real deal is.

Chelsie Joy

I have a Doberman that I rescued, and we think her tail was docked improperly. The end of her "stump" has no hair on it. I've done some reading and would guess that it's because it's scar tissue. Is that right? Is there anything we can do (aside from having it fixed surgically) to get the hair to grow back?

How easy is it to clip a cat's claws? and is it cool to do so? she's ruining all the furniture but she's also really rubbish at retracting her claws and gets caught on things so i'm worried she might injure herself

cheers!

Jessi

If a puppy was abused and carries certain fears over into adulthood (fears of noises, cars, males, etc), is there ever hope for him to get over it?

I have a 2-year-old jack russel mix rescue that's the center of my world, and I just don't want him to be so scared his whole life. My fiance and I will do everything in our power to make sure he's not in situations that make him scared, but one can't prevent everything, you know?

everythingisjustwonderful

I have a couple of questions!

First, we have a rescue chihuahua we found wandering the streets a couple of years ago. There's no telling how old he is, but the vet estimates he's 10-12 years. When we found him he barely weighed two pounds, he had fleas and a huge tick, and he was missing several teeth. Now he's up to a healthy five pounds and we treat him monthly for fleas and ticks. Are there any steps we can take to make sure that he's completely healthy that our vet might not have told us about? I'm not sure what to do about the teeth, but we do buy him softer kibble.

Second, we have a four-year-old dachshund-min pin mix who is crazy hyper. She starts off every day with several laps around the house and the yard! Sometimes that hyperactivity can turn into aggression, though. No matter how much we work with her to not bark at the mailman, the cars passing by, other dogs, or, you know, the leaves blowing on trees, she still barks at everything. Is there anything we can do to curb her aggression??

Thanks!
Caitlin

Mary

My cat loses his mind whenever put him in a carrier. He doesn't just howl and meow – he chews, pants like a dog, throws himself against the sides, claws – basically fully freaks out. I tried a traditional plastic carrier but he lost teeth chewing on the metal door. I switched to a soft sided carrier and it worked but it wasn't mine. I tried a "pop up" fully fabric carrier and he clawed his way out.

What can I do to make making him in a carrier less traumatic for him?

Andie

What is the real scoop on all the fancy/organic dog food out there these days? Are dog allergies legit? I've been told my dog has a grain & poultry allergy so we feed him food that costs $60/bag. Are we getting duped?

Meghan

About two years ago, my cat, who was then nine years old, started peeing on the floor, even when she had a clean litter box.

We took her to the vet and she doesn't have an UTI or anything else medically wrong with her.

We've shampooed the carpet, used Nature's Miracle, rubbing alcohol mixed with water, etc to make sure the carpet is really clean now, but if we don't have three (!) litter boxes for her set up in a very small section of the hallway (and they have to be there, no where else) she will pee on the floor.

What's the deal? Two different vets have told me just keep all the litter boxes out, which I do, but what could have triggered all of this and is there anything I can do to get back down to one, or even two, litter boxes?

KHathaway

I have a friend whose dog has a problem with chewing on its own tail. Most of the fur is gone off of the tail and it bleeds and scars. They've taken it to the vet and can't figure out what to do. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about what might be causing it to do that?

Franca

I would like some advice on how to introduce an adult cat into a household with an existing cat as we would like to get a friend for our cat.

I keep readings that kittens are better because the older cat is more likely to accept them, but we're both out all day so can't do the toilet training and I don't think it's right to leave a kitten to run riot all day.

Also, does it matter that our cat is quite old (7 years)? He's a sterilised male, if that makes any difference, and he's doesn't fight other cats, he usually runs away.

miss morgan p

How could I go about getting/rescuing a dog in a large city? And without a yard, what's the best way to keep it happy and exercised? I live in London! Any suggestions?

laii

What do you do when, in a household of 4, we're divided between getting a dog or a cat? Add in that one roommate says she's allergic to cats.

Nancy_C

Need advice on house training adult dogs. I have a bichon frise who was predominately house training until I adopted a shitzhu (cross?) a few weeks ago and now they would both just rather go inside to the point when I put them out they will hold it until I bring them in.

Jess P

I have beagle who is perhaps a year old (he was a rescue so we aren't totally sure of his age)and I hate taking him for walks. His nose is perpetually sniffing and when we are out, he pulls on the leash, runs ahead of me and zig zags while running from one new smell to the next. I am afraid he will get run over by a biker so I make his leash short, but then he bucks and pulls to the point that his is only walking on his hind legs. What can I do? I have tried to train him with treats but he is too distracted to accept them (although he loves them at home). Is there any hope? Or are we doomed to the doggy dumps?

Kelly

Totally unrelated to this, but would you consider doing a podcast about traveling in other countries, maybe traveling by yourself? I love the idea but I'm so daunted thinking that I would be stuck in a place where I don't speak the language, all alone – I feel so helpless when I think about it like that! It seems like you've done a lot of solo travel (unless my memory is playing tricks on me again!)

Rita

I often wonder how my cat perceives our relationship? Does he think of me as a parent? As a "tribe member"? Or just as a big thing that takes up the same space?

RMb

what's the best pet name you've ever heard?
my cat's name is steve and (not to blow my own whistle) i get a TON of reactions to it; always one extreme or the other: "that's the best name for a cat ever" OR "steve? really? ooohh… okay." etc

To Anonymous! Not sure if you will get this but trimming cats claws is the easiest thing! Do it with nail clippers and just make sure not to cut through the quick (the darker part) Do it when they're sleepy as you need them to stay still..

I have two cats, both are 5 years old. For their whole lives, we corraled them in our den/spare room at night time. We recently moved, and the litter box is the laundry room, which is much smaller. I don't want to lock them up all night in a small room, (also, they chew on the door while they are in there, lovely), but every morning they wake me up at 2 or 3 by banging on the bedroom door. Then I have to chase them around and lock them up anyway. Is there anyway to modify this behavior? I need a full night's sleep, and I really don't want them sleeping with us.

jesse.anne.o

Not to be a stickler but there is a difference between a vet and an animal behaviorist – it sounds like some of these questions are vet questions and some are behaviorist questions! I know there is some overlap but also know that animals are best served when the two (vets, behaviorists) work in tandem. Both are important! 🙂

xox

jesse.anne.o

Oh! And I had a question! How many cats do you see who actually come in with visible ID (collar/tags)? I am very curious! I know people have a hard time with collars and cats but also know it's pretty important.

And (partly behaviorist, but also vet-area!), any tricks you recommend for keeping collars on cats?

Mary

Okay, here's one that I seriously canNOT figure out! I just moved into a new apartment and although it's a two bedroom with plenty of other living space, my cat spends most of her time in my bedroom, including the nighttime. Unfortunately, I have two closets with full-length mirrors for doors, and my cat completely flips out every time she sees her reflection! She gets the poofy tail & growls & meows–the whole shebang. Strangely enough, it happens most often at night and not during the rest of the day, so I don't know what that means. I have no idea how to calm her down and help her to figure out it's not another cat– help!