Valentine’s, Shmal-entine’s. Let’s Mardi Gras!

Did you hear that Valentine’s Day around the corner? I’m sorry, I hadn’t noticed – I’ve been too busy practicing my bead-catching skills and considering my stance on flashed boobies. This year, I’ll be ringing in V-day in Lafayette, Lousiana in the company of two good friends from college and several thousand drunken revelers. If Valentine’s Day isn’t exactly your bag, you’ll be thrilled to know that this year, Mardi Gras falls on the same weekend. So if you’re single, living far away from your lover or are just all “Damn the Man! I will not be told when to celebrate my love!” why not throw a Mardi Gras Party?A few ideas:

Rock Some Cajun Cuisine

Louisiana has some amazing food. You could make a king cake (a circular cake served only during Mardi Gras that has a tiny toy baby hidden inside it) or some gumbo. Beignets (delicious donut-y desserts) are amazing. If all that’s a bit heavy for you, here’s a light version of Jambalaya. Or you can just crack open the first crawfish you see.Turn Up the Zydeco. Or Lil Wayne. Probably both
I loooove me some zydeco. Who doesn’t love music played on washboards and accordions? You can listen to the zydeco channel on Pandora or even learn a few dance steps from this youtube video.

If you’re not into zydeco, put together a play list of New Orleans rappers – Lil Wayne, Lil Romeo, Master P. You can even throw in a little Trent Reznor!Toss Around Some Doubloons and Beads
Let’s just be honest. Aren’t we all pretty sure that Mardi Gras is about beads and boobs? Your party won’t work unless you have plenty of necklaces to wing at your friends – whether you make them flash is your call. You can also up the ante with some chocolate doubloons. Cute!

Put on Your Mask and/or your Boobie T-shirt
Pick up some blank masks from your local craft store and let your friends go crazy with glitter and feather and glue guns, ala fourth grade. If you’re not into showcasing your goodies, you can at least communicate the intention with one of these awesome (read: tacky and hilarious) bikini t-shirts.

Head Out To the Pub. (Or Hunker Down With a Movie)
For better or for worse, Mardi Gras often equates to ingesting large amounts of alcohol. So now that you’ve danced your ass off to some Weezy and you’re wearing a mask, beads and a ridiculous t-shirt, why not pile into a cab with all of your friends and hit the town?

If that’s not quite your speed, why not hunker down with some gumbo and watch one of many movies set in New Orleans?

Have you ever been to Mardi Gras? How will you be ringing in Valentine’s Day?

TheatreChick73

Last year I had a kick butt Mardi Gras party. I was directing a show based in New Orleans so we threw beads from the balcony in the theatre during break. After rehearsal we headed to my place where I broke out my mask collection, poured some hurricanes and cut the king cake. I had also dug up some Preservation Hall Jazz Band music and had that going. Being responsible, employed adults, we partied quite hard and quite late for a Tuesday.

I doubt I could top Mardi Gras 2009. But I think I should try to top every year anyway đŸ™‚

Andrea

I am going home to Southern Illinois with a group of friends and celebrating Mardi Gras in St. Louis. Maybe not the same as Louisiana, but it's apparently it's the second largest in the U.S. after New Orleans. So nothing to shake a stick at! Caaaan't wait!

Helen

I'd love to go to Mardi Gras! An excuse to drink excessively and break out the glitter glue in February? Bring it on! I never celebrate Valentine's Day anyway.

Helen

Oh I forgot, we have Pancake Day on the same day as Mardi Gras. Admittedly, it's not quite as good, but still, it's something to look forward to.

Liz OT

Super excited for Mardi Gras this year.
No class on Tuesdays + pancakes for breakfast + it being on my friend's birthday this year = crazy good times. It may be rough getting up for my nine o'clock the next day, but we all make sacrifices for a good time.

You've some great suggestions in here, love!

agoraphob

I am from louisiana and I miss mardi gras (I live in utah now) and Every year I order a king cake (or 2 or three) from my fav place in louisiana. THE BEST. With a cream cheese filling.

New orleans is quite possible my favorite city. nothing like Cafe du monde after a good night of bar hopping and two stepping.

Have fun!!

Gene

Also, Chickory coffee is really effin good. Don't forget the mint juleps.

I'm going to see if my wife wants to blow off Valentine's Day and just do Mardi Gras instead.

I've been to Mardi Gras in NOLA several times and it is the BEST party ever! Sheer magic, with no commercial agenda! HOWEVER, I must inform all of your readers, that the "Boobie flashing" is only done on 3 little blocks of the entire parade – that goes through the entire city – and there are up to 5 parades a day! It is NOT about the boobie flashing at all – it is satirical & fantastical.

RMb

i was in new orleans during mardi gras, but it was a coincidence. it was trippy.
this is a great list. thank you for the suggestions! đŸ™‚

brlracincwgrl

I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras and plan to one day! Love your list of suggestions, definitely may have to put those to use! I love masks, why didn't I ever think of making my own!

I've been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans twice and it's always a fantastic time. I highly suggest adding it to your bucket list if you haven't already! Getting there early is a great way to see the city and the whole atmosphere is insane. Flashing or no flashing, drinking or no drinking, it's an all around good time đŸ™‚

shybiker

Sorry for the lateness of this post, but I just returned from New Orleans where I had my first taste of Mardi Gras (and assorted delicious foods!). It's a fun celebration that differs from its image. Kinda like Halloween on steroids.

shybiker