Thirty New Things

Did you guys know that despite my propensity for living out of a backpack and watching movies with talking animals I am nearly 30?! Yes. Good lord, I know.

I am trying very hard not to do the pre-birthday freak out. And in an effort to calm the eff down and enjoy my life as it is, I’m trying to undertake 30 new things over the next three months, before I turn 30 on August 29th.

I haven’t come up with 30 things yet. Here’s what I have so far:

11. Engage in Guerrilla Gardening
12. Make sweet corn ice cream
13. Make beer cheese cupcakes with bacon frosting
14. Go to a drive-in movie
15. Eat dinner by myself in a decent restaurant, without a book

17. Get a ridiculous manicure involving decals
19. Go on a date (Okay, I have done this before. But not in a loooooong time)
20. Ride the Munger Trail

Do you guys have any ideas? I’m looking for things that cost under $50 and are doable in one day.

Also, I’d love it if you joined in the fun! I’ll be blogging about all these shenanigans and I’d be happy to include a link to any other bloggers who want to part take in 30 New Things!

So suggest away!

Nicole Ioma

Beer cheese cupcakes with bacon frosting?! How do people come up with these things?

I think I want to do this with you! I may need a shorter list though… My birthday is in August too, and it’s actually my last day of college class EVER, so there are a lot of things I want to do before I leave here.

I’ll let you know when I come up with a list, and maybe you’ll get some ideas from it too.. I might be stealing some of yours =) good luck and thanks for the idea!

The Naked Redhead

Sarah, I’m in! I’m turning 30 on September 20th, so I’m feeling your desire to not freak out and try new things. I’ll try to post my 30 things in the next few days.

What about adding:
-Go to a ballroom class without a partner.
-Brew your own beer
-Volunteer at an animal shelter

Erin

This is something I’ve thought about doing several times, but never have done: Take a bunch of sack lunches to the ICU waiting room at the hospital. Whole families are in there sometimes, and they don’t want to leave, but everyone needs to eat! Or you could even take a basket of healthful snacks to leave in the waiting room, and some cheapie fun things for kids, like coloring books or puzzles and whatnot. (I had a friend whose husband was in the ICU last year, and her two kids needed food and fun to keep them going.)

Sharon McPherson: AUTHOR / ARTIST

Hi Sarah! What a great idea, I think everyone should try this out on a milestone birthday.

As it happens, I have a birthday in a couple of weeks and would love to participate and place a post on my blog, linking to your post. I may steal some of your ideas or have my own spin on them. It sounds like fun!!!! Though my activities list is a bigger challenge, as I will be 44 … Agg … sounds monumental!

However I will give it a go! 🙂

lo

I’ve been wanting to try geocaching for a while now- why not give that a try?

I also have a lot of crafty things I want to try- screen printing, a metal-smithing class, pottery class etc.

Marie

Wonderful idea! I can’t wait to see your entire list, and I will be thinking of things to add. I have another year until 30, but I might make my own list.

Sal

I’m so bummed that Ethiopian food didn’t work out, doll. Maybe you can pre-order a beer cheese cupcake with bacon frosting for Sunday.

jillian

oooh I’ll join! I think I’ll follow the birthday lead though, and do 22 new things before my 22nd birthday in October. Make this one a little more exciting 🙂

also, love the recipe for beer and bacon cupcakes.

A

I’ll try 24 things before my 24th birthday in November, but what on earth will they be?!?!

I know one thing will be to complete all the recipes in my Nigella Bites cookbook in the “Trashy” chapter, which is as yet unattempted. Ham basted in Coca Cola, anyone?

Afef

Wow i'm in love with this post 🙂 those are some definitely some good ideas i'd like to try (& i love the thought of the idea as well!) wishing you best of luck 🙂

here's a little suggestion – how about making a look-book with a picture of how you look everyday until your birthday?? 🙂

Sherin

You have to abseil and rock climb. They are so much fun to do and the thrill you get is amazing.
Good luck doing the things on your list, you’ll have so much fun. I think I should do a list like this before my birthday (21 in 2 months)

I’m already a decent abseil/rock climber! 😀 I’m actually going to the rock climbing gym for half-priced lady’s night tomorrow.

Good lord, what a concept.

Freya

So exciting! I will be 25 on my birthday in Feb, and was thinking I needed something other than lower car insurance to mark the age.

On my list of “things to do before I’m 30” is climb Mt Kilimanjaro, see a hodag in real life, smoke opium, and send a postcard to PostSecret.

Bridey

At the moment I’m writing a life goals list (gives me more time to get things done!), here are some ideas:
+ learn swing dancing
+ hold a sloth
+ ride in a hot air balloon
+ learn calligraphy
+ be part of a world record attempt
+ start a book club

There’s 111 goals on the list so far, but most of them are more long term. I think it will be getting longer after reading your list and getting more ideas!

Amber

Wow, Sarah, 30? I would have never guessed in a million years. How about nurturing a new party trick? I also really like the idea of spending the entire day in a neighbourhood you’ve never really hung out in before.

Also, commenter ‘a’; are you me? I’m an A that turns 24 in November too!

Erin

I’m too bushed to attempt awesome suggestions but I wildly applaud #s 12 and 17. I want decals!!

jess

this is a great entry, especially since i’m going through a quarter life crisis! expect my 30 things in the next week or so!

Thanks for all the suggesstions, guys! I’ve finalized my list of 30things and put it on the side bar. Drop me a line when you post your list and I’ll happily link to you.

Helene

I’m so excited about Number 8! Do you remember how much time I spent reading those in Taiwan?

I promise you will not be disappointed.

I know you’ve finished your list but maybe something musical? Like learn a new instrument?

Annie

For the Brazilian (wax)… try sugaring! It’s far less painful… Colleen Smith recommended it to me, so maybe you can piggyback a session with her! 🙂

Colleen

Sign me up for #2! Flex Appeal Studios is on Washington Ave…and I’ve wanted to check it out for a while now!

Also, I have a good person for your #5. Sugaring, not waxing, and it’s way better than waxing. And she’s inexpensive! And she comes to your house!! Let me know if you want her info!

Good luck with the list, chica!!
Colleen