When life is too heart-breaking to post listicles

I had a post all written and scheduled and SEO-ed for you guys today. A series of helpful bullet points that would make your online space more likely to convert and capture emails and blahblahblah. It’s not important.

Everything is horrible and heartbreaking and most of us don’t know what to do or where to start. Maybe some of these links will help.

If you don’t quite understand Black Lives Matter, or your knee-jerk response is “Hey! All lives matter!” here’s a great analogy that will explain things better than I can.

This is what white people can do to support #BlackLivesMatter.

Educate yourself on race and racism in America. This curriculum is a good place to start.

Consider joining Campaign Zero.

Find your senator, find your representative, and tell them what you think.

Support legal defense funds that help the families and victims of police violence.

Understand your right to take photos and videos of police officers and know what to say if they tell you stop filming.

Find a Black Lives Matter protest in your city and join it. Most cities have a Facebook page for their local BLM group; this is Minneapolis’s.

Donate to the families of Keith Lamont Scott.

Lastly, know that it’s okay to turn away from social media and tv for a day or two if you need it, to recharge and true your wheels. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all overwhelmed. We need to be our best, smartest, strongest, most compassionate selves to fix this.

If you’ve written or read something you’ve found to be particularly helpful, please share the link in the comments.

Lisa Valinsky

Thank you for this, Sarah. I had a big to do list for my blog today, and I just can’t get anything else done. It’s a day of heavy hearts and overwhelm. 🙁

Aja | Principles of Increase

Sarah, I’m listening to your REACH episode right now. I’m inspired! However, I want to also thank you for being sensitive to the issues happening lately. It REALLY means a lot to see someone interrupt their regularly scheduled program to just care. I can’t describe the feeling of knowing that some one cares. You don’t have to worship me, take ALL the blame for our problems or anything else that some people think our communities are pleading for. Simply caring, taking time to pull together a post WITH LINKS and showing concern for ALL involved is immensely HELPFUL and compassionate of you. Everyone is hurting. When you do things like this, I am hopeful that we will work together to make things better. Thanking God for you today! Pa’ la proxima…

Oh my gosh, you’re so sweet to say so, Aja. It’s the least I can do. <3

Justina

Thank you so much for writing this. I am a public radio junky, but I found myself changing the station this morning as I drove to work. I just can’t take any more tragedy. I work with victims of domestic and sexual violence and to listen to even more sad things on the news would have broken me this morning.

Oh my gosh, Justina! Yes. Take care of yourself! Taking action is important but we can’t take action if we don’t take care of ourselves. <3

Erin

This week. I mean. Stared with July 4th and ended with so much death at gunpoint. Thank you for acknowledging it and giving us all permission to not pretend it’s business as usual.

Bethany McGraw

Why are there nine links supporting the prosecution of police violence and only one link supporting law enforcement?

Have you read any helpful articles about steps we can take to create better training and support systems for our police forces? I’m happy to include those links if you share them. Which is why I asked readers to share applicable links at the bottom of the post.

Bethany McGraw

Law enforcement officers have a tough job to begin with. Add to their load the very real possibility of them being ambushed or hunted by people who think all cops are out to kill, and they begin to fear for their lives, which makes them quicker on the trigger. A lot of “police violence” incidents are because the officer had to a.) decide to let the other person – who at least appears to want to seriously harm or kill the officer – make the first, or as the case may be, second, third, etc. move; or b.) decide that he or she wants to make it home that night in one piece, thus making the often life-saving (and life-changing for all parties involved) first, second, etc. move him/herself. Law enforcement officers do incredibly important work, yet they are constantly being ridiculed and accused. What they need is support, not protest.

Laura

Thanks for posting this. I’m feeling so terrible about all that is going on, and I want to send love to everyone that is hurting.

Calluna

This post is a good idea.

I feel so bad for us all (it reflects on us ALL!) but at the same time the only response I can think of is to stand on a corner and shout, “Everyone just be nice to everyone! Leave our friends alone! Quit all that!” That seems ridiculous and woefully ineffective. So… I just sit here and feel sad and powerless instead.

It is nice to know there is at least some humble alternatives to doing nothing.

Sasha, that was such a beautiful, sad, meaningful newsletter. Thank you so much for sharing it. <3

Molly

HI Carolina — I love the idea of this book club. It says on the website that discussion occurs over a private facebook page. Is this information sent to you at a later point? I’ve “purchased” the book club and am wondering if they send this information later.
Thanks!

Karen

Just came across this today; thanks for posting these links. I have a couple more to add.

Read this (Republican!) senator’s personal testimony for one example of how pervasive racial targeting is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-the-senate-floor-black-gop-senator-talks-of-disrespect-from-police/2016/07/13/db67c7de-4949-11e6-bdb9-701687974517_story.html

And I believe that this Alicia Keys-produced video on this newish website came out yesterday (or I just found it yesterday). I found it pretty powerful: http://www.weareheremovement.com