10 Clever Halloween Costumes You Haven’t Seen A Million Times Before

costume ideas

Halloween is hands down my favorite holiday.  As a kid, I’d start planning my costume for the next year on November 1st and terrorize my mother with  ideas for suuuuuuper complicated costumes.  “Now. What if I were, like, a creepy tooth fairy?  I got an idea for these wings and a custom-made tool belt thing.  And, like, a multi-colored tutu…”

This enthusiasm was slightly dampened by the fact that it’s regularly 40-degree during Halloween in Minnesota (once we even had a blizzard!) and I grew up out in the country.  So trick-or-treating usually consisted of wearing a bulky winter coat over my costume and driving from neighbor’s house to neighbor’s house.These days, I go to 2-3 big Halloween house parties and sometimes I even have different costumes for each party.

Such is my commitment to this holiday.

While compulsively researching costumes, I discovered a noticeable lack of clever, interesting costumes that aren’t
a) obvious and overly common
b) too sexy

Here are ten of the best costumes I found:

(links to original sources embedded in the photos)

What are you going to be for Halloween this year?  And what’s your all-time favorite costume?

photo by B. // cc

Claire (Eat Well. Party Hard.)

No, really, Halloween is THE BEST of the holidays. It is super weird being the only one in the expat group of friends here who cares about it, so this post was definitely appreciated. Love the idea of going as Grumpy Cat. Hysterical.

Amy Elizabeth

Karl Lagerfeld is an absolutely inspired costume. My boyfriend always tells me off for wanting to go as weird things for Halloween. I wanted to go as Schroedinger's Cat this year but that was vetoed.

We're actually going to a 'Wicked' (as in the musical) themed Halloween ball so I am totally stumped as what to go as, since I don't want to paint myself green/spend lots of money on a fancy dress. To Pinterest!

Sara Rose

I actually was in Wicked twice- once as Elphaeba (college) & once as G(a)linda.One of my costume changes I got as Elphie- would be totally easy, actually. It did require a lot of green- be warned. Anyways, when we got to the Emerald City, I was wearing a short/knee-length 'retro-esque' black cocktail dress. Mine had cool lace arms, and I had lace patterned stockings with my boots- but if you Google, her makeup, it actually requires lots of purples and greys, with standard black and green. I think it'd be a fun way to do Elphaeba- easier too.

As for Glinda, well. Depending on hair color, you may or may not need a curly, coiffed blond wig. Otherwise, hot rollers do the trick. Go thrifting for an 80's retro fab pink dress, unless you find something else blue/pink/yellow that's knee length and if not sparkly, easily sparkly-able.

Make up, super shimmery pin up style make up. Think blues/pinks/browns on eyelids, bright pink blush with high lighter, and pink lipstick. Got a clear Christmas ornament? Spray it with glitter and hot glue it to a 'wand'. Practice twirls, eyelash batting, and incessant giggling. 🙂

You could print or wear different types of crimes and go as “No Good Deed” 😀

Shout out to the 1991 blizzard! nice!
-a fellow Halloween-loving Minnesotan who was up to her angel wings in snow that year

Caitlyn

Halloween is also my favorite, but I refuse to spend too much or dress super slutty (which seems to trump an actual costume for most women)… I also don't like being the same thing more than once (I know so many rules) . So thanks for some inspiration!

Sarah M

Those are so great. I love the JEM one…I might even dress up this year. One of my friends went as a "One Night Stand" one year—best costume ever. She had a little cardboard 'stand' around her waist with whitey-tighties on top, a lampshade on her head with a lacy bra over top of that. So clever.
Sarah M

vanessa

I want Halloween to happen more than once a year. Can we just make every other holiday an excuse to also wear costumes?

These are so amazing. Now I'm thinking I might go as Frieda next year. This year my friends & I are doing a trio costume: three blind mice. It will be spectacular.

Corin

For the last three years, I've been using the same costume – my "sexy" calculator costume (the "sexy" part was having "58008" at the top and jokingly tell people to flip me upside down). I'm on the hunt for something new … and I may just steal your tool-belt-wearing tooth fairy idea! 😉

lumenatrix

One year when I knew I was going to a party at a gay bar I made a Baby Jane Hudson costume that was THE BEST. It was super comfy and warm and I had so much fun running around being just awful to people (jokingly, obviously). It was a big hit, too which made me feel even better since I'm usually the girl with the costume that elicits "Oh, that's cute…" since I'm really not very good at planning ahead.

quarter-life lady.

Omg, Grumpy at is HILARIOUS!

Also, my husband really wants me to be Marge because our dog looks like Santa's Little Helper. My husband has a bit of a belly, so he thinks he'd make an awesome Homer. I'm still thinking about it…

I saw a Marge one year for Halloween. But she used blue yarn to make her hair and used ping pong balls for eyes. It was very cute.

runmimsie

I'm going as Black Widow and my Boyfriend is going as Ironman (full on suit!)! We made these costumes for cosplay at a comic con earlier this year and figured…why not re-wear them for Halloween!

the snow globe is a creative idea but fyi dressing up as a hula girl if you're not native Hawaiian is cultural appropriation and super not cute!

Sara Rose

Tee hee hee!!!! This year, my daughter will be going asa 'water witch' (she came up with the concept when I found this costume- a sparkly witches outfit in shades of blue and purble, that we've been attaching different shades of blue shimmer fabric to- especially around the skirt and wrists and shoulders. Her wand has the same effect. A friend in beauty school will help me 'tie-dye' her hair with shades of blues and purple (wash out the next day) and adding tons of glitter.

My white-blonde maniacal toddler will be Draco Malfoy. With a pet snake. I knitted him a Slytherin scarf and hat! He loves them (and bonus points- they match his winter coat).

My husband will be going as the Wizard of Oz and I will be the glitteriest Glinda EVER. Did I mention we like dressing up?

Beth

I totally thought that "Jem" costume was Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons! I guess we know where Jem got her look 🙂

MegansBeadedDesigns

I love so many of these costumes! I was stuck this year so I'm just going to go as a viking to match my husband (he's really into leather work right now, therefore, has to make his own costume.) I'm really loving the pop art makeup though, maybe next year!

Samantha Kimble

Oh the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego took me back. This year I'm doing Frankenstein. My husband is 6 10" and is going to be Frankenstein's monster and I'm going to be the mad scientist. My daughter is going to be a mermaid riding a unicorn.

Liz

I’m going as Notorious RBG this year. I KNEW there was a reason to keep my college graduation robe all these years. 😉

Cait

The 3 rules of Halloween costumes: You have to fit though a standard door, you have to be able to sit, and you can’t buy a better version of the costume somewhere else.

This year I am going as Orion. The constellation. It will be hella awesome.