Read // Eat: Anne of Green Gables’ Raspberry Cordial

This is the first of what will (hopefully) be many posts in which we cook and eat the food featured in our favorite books.  Recipe/book suggestions welcome!
We have established that I’m a book nerd.  Also: I occasionally like to eat things.
You, too?  So, it only makes sense that we should combine our love of books and food in this, the first meeting of the Literary Nibble Club.
Club is now in session!  Let’s bring this meeting to order by addressing the awesome that is Anne Shirley and Diana Berry’s raspberry cordial adventure.
If you’ve never read Anne of Green Gables 1) I don’t know if we can be friends 2) you don’t know that  Anne accidentally got her BFF Diana quite drunk on wine they mistook for this raspberry cordial.
“But it isn’t good manners to tell your company what you are going to give them to eat, so I won’t tell you what we said we could have to drink.  Only it begins with an R and a C and it’s a bright red color.  I love bright red drinks, don’t you?  They taste twice as good as any other color.”

Ingredients
2 600gram packages of frozen raspberries (we’ve got enormous raspberry bushes in the garden, so I used fresh.  Decadent!)
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 cups boiling water
3 lemons
Directions
1. Dump frozen raspberries and sugar into a sauce pan.  Over medium heat, stir occasionally for 20 minutes or so til all the sugar has dissolved.
2. With a potato masher (or whisk or egg beater) bash raspberries about til you break them up and get all the juice out.
3.  Use a mesh sieve to strain out the juice.  You can throw out the pulp or save it and for smoothies because you’re healthy and clever.
4.  Squeeze the juice of two of the lemons into the now pulp-free raspberry juice.
5.  Boil the four cups of water and add it to the raspberry/lemon juice.
6.  Chill the juice and right before you serve it, float a thin slice of lemon on top.
7. (optional) add a few shots of vodka if you want to get wasted ala Diana Barry and risk the wrath of one Mrs. Rachel Lynde
{recipe courtesy The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook.  which I own.  what?}
This drink is awfully nice – and if you’ve got an ice cream machine, I’m sure it would make a lovely sorbet!

What are your favorite foods from stories you’ve read?  We’ve got recipes coming up from Little House on The Prairie and  Harry Potter!

LynnieBee

Sarah, my love for you has been cemented!!! The Anne of Green Gables series was (and is) one of my very favorite book series!!! I had no idea there was also a cookbook, that will be MINE very shortyl 🙂 As an avid reader and cook, I absolutely adore the idea of a Literary Nibble Club 🙂 Would you mind if incorporated this into my blogging as well? And this cordial does look delicious and refreshing 🙂

Rosie

That sounds so delicious! And I have to agree with Anne, red food tastes so much better 🙂

I can't wait for more literary nibbles!

Starling

I love this so much. I'm a huge Anne fan (fAnne?). I even dragged the poor Mr. up to Prince Edward Island a few years ago just so I could go see Green Gables! Thanks, Sarah!

Jessica R.

Oh Sarah, this made my morning. I can't tell you how many friendships I've cemented over my love of Anne. You and I are kindred spirits!

Can't wait to see the other recipes you have coming.

rachelrewrites

I love this!

Anne of Green Gables was one of my favorite books as a kid and I distinctly remember the first time I ever understood why Diane got sick from the raspberry cordial, which was something that had mystified me when I was younger. It was a definite "I'm a grown-up" moment.

Kaitlin

Jessica beat me to it saying, in most dramatic Anne fashion, we are kindred spirits!

I've been trying to sell my husband on naming our some-day child Anne if we have a girl. He's not having it, sadly.

Kaitlin

Ha! My sister-in-law made it quite clear (before I was even engaged to her brother) that I was NOT to steal her chosen baby names.

Holly

Ohhh, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables. I want to make this just because of Anne and Diana's misadventure with the raspberry cordial 🙂

keishua

Oh, I love love Anne of green gables. I read the whole series and saw the movies! I need to do a reread of the books soon. This post made me so happy!

E.R.

I love this idea as well. 🙂
My friend Kate and I have always talked about making a play list from songs mentioned in books. same basic idea.
I make a drink similar to this but substitute blueberries for raspberries and substitute black tea for water. Makes the most delicious blueberry iced tea/summer drink you've ever ever had.

Kylie

Anne of Green Gables is such a special book (and series!) Such a special part of so many childhoods (and adulthoods), and a lovely slice of Canadiana. I like to think that Marilla would have been mortified about the cordial incident, but also secretly amused!

This is a wonderful new feature!! Great work, Sarah!

Marina

Fantastic idea!

This made me think about books I love and whether there was any food in them. The only thing that came to mind was a wonderful description of a feast in Eugene Onegin by Pushkin. Sadly it doesn't translate nearly as well into English.

Mackenzie

WANT. NOW! i actually just got a redwall cookbook by brian jacques and made a redwall feast for my (now ex) manfriend. he was completely impressed and it was kind of a bit devilish how delicious everything was! i love this idea.

Marie

A coworker participate sin a book club and they theme the food at their meetings after the books they read. I always think this sounds fun, but my book club is full of people with small children, so I'm not sure anyone but me as the time to do it.

Have you read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? That would be a good item to make. Also, when The Help movie came out, they produced a book club kit with food and drink recipes. Chocolate pie anyone?

Adey

AW 🙂 Just the mention of Anne of Green Gables brings me back to many a cozy childhood moment with just me and those characters lol. I sometimes felt like such a dork since I was definitely the only kid I knew who had read it! But Anne just spoke to me 🙂 I love the raspberry cordial scene; I always saw it so clearly in my mind's movie reel haha. I'm going to try it the Diana Barry way 😉

Kait

Sarah, my love for you and your fantastic ideas has grown! I have a little note in the notepad section of my phone that I reserve for "fun things", which could be ideas of places to go, things to see, future projects, and one of them is "Cookbook inspired by my favorite books", but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, so this is just too perfect and definitely inspirational!! The bigger book inspired item on the list is, "trip centered around favorite books". Perhaps I'll write about it and share it if I ever get to do it! Thanks for being awesome 🙂